Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Siebert Colorado

Two weeks in Siebert Colorado
After leaving Topeka we drove onto I 70 and if you have never traveled Kansas let me tell you the wind will knock you down. It was blowing in excess of 40 mph and we decided to pull into the Triple J campground in Russell Kansas. We found this park to be very clean and right off of the interstate. The staff was very helpful and this park features a mini-golf course. We stayed overnight and you should have seen us walking in these winds. Becky was nearly knocked off of the steps by the force of the door which caught in the wind. We might add that plan for extra expense in weather like this our gas mileage went from 11 to 12 miles per gallon to 7-8 miles per gallon. So be prepared when you drive thru this way. After a great night we continued on to our Yellowstone Destination we drove into Colorado still on I 70 and decided to stay halfway to Denver at the Shady Grove Wi-Fi Camp Ground. This campground is located in Siebert Colorado and is a great location to rest up and get some peace and quiet. We decided to stay a bit longer because Becky pushed me out of the RV and I fell twisting my ankle. OK maybe I am stretching it a little I fell when I missed a step and did turn my ankle I knew I was in trouble when I landed on the ground staring at Becky’s $30.00 rock. I don’t think I have told you about her rock so here goes. We are from Arkansas as most of you know. We are a very poor rural state and do not have a great deal of assets but one thing we do have is rocks. One day after church Becky had me stop at one of the road side stands you know the ones they have an acre of rocks laid out for the tourists to ooh and ah over and pay money for something they could pick up for free. Well after we stop Becky puts them all to shame oohing and ahing at the different rocks in this yard after what seemed like an eternity she comes back with this huge rock and decides it is her destiny to bring it home. I was just glad to get her out of the yard so I take it up to the owner of the yard and go into shock when I find it costs $30.00 for one rock. I had it all wrong these guys are brilliant they are making a fortune selling something that anyone can pick up for free on the road. So from that day forward we have had a $30.00 rock which sits proudly on our front patio at campgrounds wherever we are. Well back to the point my ankle is fine and time to head on down the road.

No comments: